Friday, January 18, 2008

Weekend plans


As far as weekend plans go, this weekend is not that full. One thing I am looking forward to the most is the arrival of Paul Thomas Anderson's "There Will Be Blood."

I have been dodging reviews - comments - ads - evreything... trying to keep this experience fresh (I have failed on quite a few things... damnit - I know too much!). The movie opened for the world on Christmas day... and now it finally hits Des Moines.

Whining aside, I am thrilled to finally have a chance to see it.


Next up is the big NFL playoff games that are happening this weekend. The early game is the one I am looking forward to; The Patriots welcome the trash talking Chargers... expect a lot of points and some amazing play. I am full on rooting for Brady and Co. The second game is the Pack welcoming the ever lucky Giants... Pack should role with ease.

I am a little sad that this is the end of the NFL season - but man, the games have been fantastic!!!


Finally, Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. day and I - odd as it may seem, have the day off. I grew up in Des Moines and spent some of the best days of my life living on 47th street near Beaverdale - and I attended MLK Elementary. There was this huge mural of King in the entryway of the school and once a year we would go and sit in front of it and hear of King's passionate fight to end segregation and racism throughout the world.

I don't know what it is - but having a day put aside for him... giving me a day off from work... somehow lessens this man's impact to me. I guess it has something to do with the work day and knowing I will be sleeping in and laying around... maybe I will take a moment and really reflect on the man and his dream.

Hopefully I will.

A good person would...

yo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to see PT Anderson's new one too. I was going to go this weekend but illness seems to have sidelined my plans. Curses!

I can see where you're coming from on MLK day. I think it's a bit different from President's day, where the general populace is so far removed from the impact of Lincoln and Washington that we just naturally take those achievements for granted. For MLK day, it just seems like people should think more about the impact of his life, but that rarely happens. Though last year I did spend half that day watching civil rights related programs on the History Channel. Probably doesn't count, I guess...

Damfino said...

Kern - buck the illness (syphilis?) and go out and see it. We could cross blog review it!

I will see it Monday and write it up Tuesday.

If you stop at any point and take a moment for King - I think it definitely counts.