Friday, February 15, 2008

TV REVIEW : LOST 4.03 "The Economist"


I was loving life when "The Sopranos" and "Deadwood" were in full swing, rolling off new episodes every Sunday night. At that same time, I was spoiled with new and hilarious "The Office" and "Scrubs" every Thursday! And the peak was every Sunday watching the Bluths run amok through "Arrested Development." Since AD,Tony and Swearengen left our blessed air waves... and JD and Turk started milking screen time with often very lame eps ("The Office" still kills me) - our TV life has become a barren waste land of trite and contrived crap.

"Lost" was a part of that... not any more.


We are in the third episode of season 4, a season that will now contain 13 episodes (down from 16 due to the strike), and things are still smacking my face raw. Holy Crap.

Sayid as a Jason Bourne-ish hired killer? He is a member of the Oceanic 6? The time delay on the payload that Daniel had the ship send? SAYID IS WORKING FOR BEN IN THE FUTURE?!?!?!?


There is no doubt about it - "Lost" is on that separate plane... that level of creative madness and genius that keeps me salivating for every episode. Starting with the final episode of Season 3, the series has rev'd itself up... shredding every expectation the viewer has... and every rule that the series seemed to build. It is truly exciting to watch these writers continually come up with fascinating twists and turns (I can't believe I just used that phrase) that keep the viewer jumping out of their seat!

This particular episode only had a few moments of crappiness (Sayid having his gun in the pocket of his jacket - in plain view... but Elsa claimed he was unarmed) and some beautiful shots (the helicopter floating over the water with the island in the background... wow) keeping this episode running strong.

I am loving this... yeeee-haaaa!

LOST 4.03 "The Economist" : A-

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. And yes.

Lost has ascended from a mire of mediocre entertainment choices as not only an intelligent, mysterious body of work that creates and sustains its own magical mythology, it somehow does so in a way that has lured a typically apathetic and unchallenged audience to come along for the ride, which in my mind, may be its greatest accomplishment of all.

Damfino said...

Ah - Alex, you have such a way with words. Thank you for stating poetically what I tried to say... my writing ability (and patience) on the blog has long since left me.

Glad you are digging it too.

Damfino said...

p.s. I hope you enjoy the Valentine Card while it is up - I will yank it Monday.

Also - did you notice my top 10? Did you get out to see any of those?

yo

Anonymous said...

Thanks man.

As far as the ten movies, I actually have seen several, and I may see There Will Be Blood this weekend. Here's what I saw:

No Country For Old Men, Juno, Zodiac, and Superbad. I need to rent the rest of those, except for There Will Be Blood.

I loved all the ones I have seen thus far. I think the most underrated of them all is Zodiac, which I know I should have seen in the theatre. I punch myself in the face everytime I think of the sad financial legacy attached to the film. It deserved, and still deserves, much better.