Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Not luck - just good


I am sure I am several weeks behind on everyone seeing this movie, but I finally took a peak at Clooney's b&w opus last night. The film, though akwardly paced and lacking a 3rd act, is a beautiful piece of cinema. The editing is fresh (though not entirely effective!) and the b&w imagery is well used - but not over done.


Strathairn's Murrow was spot on - never once showing that any acting was taking place. It was a joy to watch what was happening behind his eyes - seeing the plume of smoke whirl around him as he thought through the difficulties and challenges that the frightening McCarthyistic world was throwing at him.

The rest of the cast was well balanced, with Robert Downey Jr. tossing in a small but effective role.

One major problem with the film can be blamed on Grant Aslov (character actor seen in True Lies!!) and Clooney himself. The script lays on the drama onto a scene that has no direct effect on the McCarthy plot. A specific character makes a life changing decision - and everyone deals with it. That moment is the most dramatic of the film - and it really does not even belong in it.

Good Night and Good Luck definitely has some flaws, but it is an amazing achievement for all involved. Check it out!

Yo

17 comments:

Damfino said...

This post was gonna have more but Blogger died (pictures would not load).

So - enjoy the minimalist route.

Kern said...

Consider it enjoyed. I thought that the director's name was Grant Heslov not Aslov. I still need to see it, but I thought it looked pretty sweet. How was the KC trip?

Damfino said...

KC ruled - drank waaay too much. Ate waaay too much... saw two bands... and got to have waffles!

Good times!

Damfino said...

Yes - to respond to Kern's correction, Grant's last name is Heslov.

Now to correct Kern, he was the co-writer, not the director.

Eat c*ck Kern.

Kern said...

Nice work, my good man. I'm having a contest at my site. You and the Damfinobloggers should participate.

I'm actually offering an honest to God prize! And one that doesn't suck!

Kern said...

Touche, Fino. Points for subtlety.

Kern said...

Did you mean your cock? I already had breakfast, and I couldn't eat another...bite.

Damfino said...

I meant it as - in general - just eat c*ck. No more talking - no more reviewing - no more going to shows or cranking out crabby diatribes... just eat c*ck.

Make it a sort of new religion.

Kern said...

I'm not quite sure if this is sarcasm or not. If so, I applaud you.

If however, you're serious, I apologize. I wasn't trying to be an asshole about correcting you, I was just trying to be helpful. If I overstepped, mea culpa.

Later all.

Damfino said...

No, I am completely being sarcastic. Although, if you correct me in person, I might sarcastically kick your shins in.

But I am naturally a violent person.

Deit - why can't I throw out a "eat c*ck" joke (a reference to Clerks) without you chiming in?

How goes your gestating child?

Kern said...

Hopefully for the sake of my shins I'll remember that when I have had seven or eight beers this summer.

In case anyone's wondering, I took down that contest thing here because it was super wordy and you can get all the info over at my blog. Deadline's Friday. I think Deit, Fino, and the Sheriff have an excellent shot of winning the prize...

Damfino said...

Did Deit just explain a running gag to me? What the f*ck is going on?!?!?

I know you boil yourself down to a stereo-type my good friend - that's why I lob out the easy pitches so you can crank em out of the park.

Just playing the "straight" man role!


Hmm - might get in trouble for that last comment.

Kern said...

Heh heh. That's what I'm talking about. Though I am still confused about the alleged c*ck eating at my blog...

Damfino said...

Deit - Let's just say I doubt it!

Kern - Thanks for the shart.

Kern said...

Actually, Deit, I think you're right. I think like six people read my blog, and besides you, I know at least one other gay man that reads it, so that's a third right there. You weren't counting me as a half again were you?

Kern said...

The wonders of modern science...The Six Million Dollar Man and his partner The Bionic Man.

Man, I wonder if it would make those weird bionic "na na na na" sounds when they were doin' it. That would really get on the neighbors nerves after awhile.

Kern said...

Deit: I guess what I meant was that there can only be one GRAND PRIZE WINNAH! Actually, the Sheriff sent a cavalcade of quotable goodness and is the de facto frontrunner at this point in time.

I don't want to give too much away, but there was a ref to Alexis Arquette that nearly made me shartre.